- All Competitors to have the tips & tails of their ski painted either red, orange, lumo yellow or lumo pink at least 50 cm each end. Please no Branding or names visible on the tips.
- No paddler will be allowed on the water without ALL the necessary safety equipment!
- Personal advertising will only be permitted provided it does not conflict with the event sponsor or sponsors. In such an event the Race organisers reserve the right to have conflicting branding removed.
- All surf skis/paddles must display any sponsor’s logo stickers that are supplied.
- No stickers other than the sponsor stickers will be permitted in the area in front of the pedals to the nose of your ski, this includes personal branding and names.
- Each paddler will wear a PFD (Personal Floatation Device) as approved by Canoeing South Africa and have a leash attaching the paddler to the surf ski, and a working cell phone. We recommend you carry a flare.
- Paddlers must be registered with Canoeing South Africa (CSA) to be eligible to compete in any of the races.
- Paddlers must display correct CSA numbers on surf-ski – any incorrect/incomplete numbers will result in disqualification.
- The number issued by CSA, or the race organizers (for internationals) must be placed at the front on both sides of your surf ski.
- Any competitor who rides the wake of a motorized craft will be disqualified.
- All competitors will be checked in at the start, into a demarcated start area. Here their craft and safety equipment will be checked and sent to the start line in respective batches.
- Competitors will be allowed seconds to assist them on the beach. Seconds should take care not to infringe on the rules of the race by assisting competitors in the water.
- Any competitor who receives physical support or assistance or who enters one of the rescue craft, will be disqualified, with the exception of those doing so to repair their craft.
- No paddler 14 years and under as at 31st December may enter the race.
- No paddler 15 years and under as at 31st December may enter in a single ski.
- Paddlers who are 16 years as at 31st December may enter in a single ski, provided that they have completed the race previously in a double ski.
- Paddlers who are 17 and 18 years as at 31st December, may enter in a single ski.
- The race referee may decide whether a competitor should be prevented from continuing the race at any time. The decision of the race referee is final. NSRI are considered to be referee’s.
- A safety mobile phone number for emergencies, as well as for notifying the race referee of withdrawals will be given at race briefing. The onus is on the competitor to notify the race referee of his/her withdrawal. The costs of any search resulting from a competitor not notifying the organizers of his or her withdrawal will be borne by the competitor.
- A safety card will be presented to the competitor when entering the beach safety check point. This safety card must be handed back to the beach marshal on completion of the race.
- The finish will be between two flags on the beach.
- Paddlers must cross the finish line with their craft.
- Double skis – Both competitors must start/ finish with their craft.
- Competitors must finish the race with the craft they started the race in. Paddles may be changed.
- Prize Giving – competitors must be present at prize giving in order to claim their prizes. Forfeiting any prize money to which he or she may have been entitled;
Race registration takes place the day before the race. There will be a compulsory race briefing at after registration. Final batches will be confirmed at registration and via WhatsApp. No batch changes after 19h30.
First batch scheduled for 05h30, but is subject to change depending on conditions. Starting procedures will be explained at Race registration / race briefing. All paddlers must meet qualifying criteria stipulated by the race organizers.
All paddlers must meet qualifying criteria stipulated by the race organizers. ISO compliant PDFs (personal floatation device), body leashes, operational cell phones with NSRI SafeTrax and airtime are compulsory. There will be no exception to this rule.
NB Any altered (floatation removed) PFD WILL LEAD TO IMMEDIATE DISQUALIFICATION.
The race committee reserves the right to change the course, or to change starting times, or to cancel or delay at its discretion a part or the whole race in the interests of safety.